Phillip Island Circuit (iRacing)
Phillip Island has a rich motorsports history dating back to the early twentieth century when the 10 Miles Road Race (since known as the inaugural Australian Grand Prix) was staged over one of the world’s first “ro-vals” — a rectangle of public roads with four identical corners. As speeds increased a new Phillip Island circuit was developed around an existing airfield and operated into the mid-1930s. In the aftermath of World War II, a new, permanent track was built on the edge of the island’s south coast and hosted its first race in 1956. The facility experienced good times and bad, in part due to the track maintenance required by its roller-coaster character. The Phillip Island circuit closed its doors from 1962-66 and again from the late 1970s until it reopened in 1989 as the site of the Australian round of the World Motorcycle Championship.